Ann Rivero22. 12. 2020. u 04:45Brojač objava: 0
The Story of the Jews 1492–1900
(The Story of the Jews, #2)
by Simon Schama
- Publisher: Bodley Head
- Genres: history, religion, jewish, judaism, politics, israel, judaica
- Awards: The Baillie Gifford Prize for Non-Fiction Nominee (2017)
- ISBN: 9781847922809 (1847922805)
- Series: The Story of the Jews, #2
- Language: english
- Release date: October 5, 2017
- Format: hardcover, 800 pages
- Author: Simon Schama
About The Book
The words that failed were words of hope. But they did not fail at all times and everywhere.
These gripping pages teem with words of defiance and optimism, sounds and images of tenacious life and adventurous modernism, music and drama, business and philosophy, poetry and politics. The second part of Simon Schama’s epic Story of the Jews is neither overwhelmed by hopelessness nor shrouded in the smoke of the crematoria. As much as it gives full weight to the magnitude of the disaster that befell the Jews, it is a story of hope vindicated rather than wiped out.
The stories unfold across the world — in the provincial pavilions of Ming China and beneath the brass chandeliers of Rembrandt’s Amsterdam; on ships and carts, stage-coaches and railway trains crossing oceans and continents; in the honky-tonk of San Francisco and the pampas of Argentina, the department stores of Berlin and the avenues of Trieste. The stories themselves are played on the stage of opera houses; in the travelling camera of an expedition in Ukraine, the prison cells of Stalin’s Russia, the lagers of the Holocaust; the scenery of misery and redemption in Palestine and Israel.
At the heart of the story is the budding belief that peoples of different faiths, customs and cultures can be fellow-citizens of a common country.
And amidst all the brutality, somehow the light of Jewish endurance is never extinguished. The odyssey is unforgettable, the storyteller impassioned, the words unfailing.
TXT Belonging by Simon Schama read online on Books-a-Million. EPUB book Belonging for Kindle. FictionBook ebook Belonging download iPhone on Book Depository. Paperback book Belonging Simon Schama buy. Hardback Belonging by Simon Schama download on IndieBound.
Online ebook Belonging on PC. FB2 ebook Belonging Simon Schama buy cheap on Audible. MOBI Belonging read PocketBook. MP3 book Belonging by Simon Schama. PDF ebook Belonging download for reader on Kobo.
Hardcover book Belonging buy cheap on iPad on Walmart. FB2 Belonging Simon Schama read online. MP3 ebook Belonging buy on iOS. MOBI Belonging Simon Schama on Amazon. EPUB book Belonging download on Powells.planetazdravlja05. 01. 2021. u 22:32Brojač objava: 0
- The Grown Ups by Robin Antalek · 9780062302472
- Catching Heat by Janice Cantore · 9781414396705
- Social Work Practice and Intellectual Disability: Working to Support Change by Christine Bigby · 9780230521667
- Human Biological Diversity: An Introduction Into Human Biology by Daniel E. Brown · 9780130455710
- Travel The World In Cross Stitch by Lesley Teare · 9780715322420